For the first time ever, I’ve made a strawberry pie and I am so excited on how it came out! I looked through about 50 recipes, but none of them called to me, so I did what I usually do and combined two different recipes to make my own.
Now, I absolutely love strawberries, so the way I made my pie was with half strawberries and a strawberry sauce.
How to Make Strawberry Pie
Making a strawberry pie from scratch took some time, but the end result was absolutely delicious. For the top of the pie, I decided to make a lattice design, but you can make the top anyway you’d like.
Make the pie crust from scratch
You can buy one if you aren’t confident enough to make your own crust, but making the pie crust from scratch will make this pie even more natural and it also has less sugar than those that you buy in stores.
When I make pies, I usually make the crust such as the one I used in for my pumpkin pie.
Fill the crust with filling
Once you have followed the instructions to make the crust and froze it, you will need to put it in the oven for a few minutes so the bottom bakes. As soon as it’s baked, put in the strawberry filling and cover it with the pie top.
When you cover the pie, make sure to add the egg wash on top. This will give you a golden-brown shiny crust.
Protect the outer crust
Crusts can easily burn if they are not protected. This is why you should use a pie crust shield or foil.
Strawberry Pie Ingredients
For the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter chilled, and cut into 1” pieces
- ¼ to ½ cup ice water
For the Filling:
- 8 cups fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Food Processor or Blender
- Hand Mixer
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter
- 4 Cups Fresh Strawberries
- 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Water
For the crust
- Put dry crust ingredients into blender
- Add butter and ¼ cup ice cold water and mix until the dough just holds together when pinched.
- Turn the dough and gather into a ball. Divide the dough in half, flattening each half into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least one hour before using.
- Place ½ of the dough on floured surface and roll into a 12” circle
- Transfer to pie plate and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Use the rest of the dough to form the top of the pie
For the Filling
- Puree 1 cup of the strawberries in a blender
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, then add the water and strawberry puree.
- Boil the mixture and then cook 3 more minutes, until the strawberry mixture turns thick and translucent.
- cut the rest of the strawberries in half and mix with the strawberry sauce mixture.
- Once it’s all mixed, add the filling into the crust.
Top pie crust
- Once the filling is in the pie crust, add the top of the pie.
- Smear the top with egg wash
- Add the foil or pie crust shield around the pie
- Bake 375 degrees for 20 minutes